How Long Does the Average Car Battery Last?
- According to Scott Manna of the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Illinois, the average car battery lasts 4 1/2 years, give or take a year.
Short Trips and Temperature
- Taking mostly short trips (less than 20 minutes) that do not give the alternator a chance to recharge the battery will reduce its life. In addition, very hot or cold weather degrades battery life.
Testing and Precaution
- Car battery testers can provide a fairly accurate view of how much life a battery has left; however, drivers may want to pre-emptively replace batteries they suspect are dying to guard against getting stranded.
- When replacing a car battery, never leave off the protective cover that comes with it. This insulates the battery from temperatures changes in the surrounding environment.
- Whenever testing or charging a battery, always wear gloves and safety goggles to prevent battery acid from corroding the skin.