Travel & Places Passport Requirements

United States to Canada Passport Regulations

    Entry Requirements

    • Canadian law stipulates that all visitors must carry both a proof of citizenship and a proof of identity. Some documents satisfy both of these requirements, including a U.S. passport, a passport card or a NEXUS card. A NEXUS card is a form of identification typically used by American residents who live close to the Canadian border who frequently travel into Canada. It is a binational program open to both Canadian and American citizens, and must be renewed every five years.

      A passport card is a toned-down version of a passport book. It is only available to American nationals, and can only be used to enter Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and Caribbean countries by land or by sea. It is not an acceptable form of identification for air travel.

      If you are flying into Canada from America, you must show a valid passport. It must be valid for at least six months after your date of departure. A visa is required if the purpose of your trip is other than a visit, or if you plan on staying longer than 180 days.

    Other Identification

    • If you are traveling to Canada by land or by sea and do not have a valid passport or passport card, you must supply at least two documents. One must be a government-issued ID, such as a driver's license, and the other must show proof of citizenship. A birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or an expired U.S. passport satisfies this requirement. Children under 16 years old are only required to show proof of citizenship, as are students under 19 years old who are traveling with a school or church group.


    • If you have been convicted of a crime, including misdemeanors or driving while intoxicated, you may be refused entry into Canada. Such crimes must be considered crimes in Canada as well as the country in which they were committed. You must wait at least five years from the end of the sentence, and you must complete a waiver form and include a fee.

You might also like on "Travel & Places"

Leave a reply