How to Install an ABS Relay in a VW Beetle
- 1). Park the Beetle and engage the parking brake. Open the hood and secure it using the safety bar. Disconnect the black negative battery cable by loosening the nut on the clamp around the battery post using an adjustable wrench. Pull it up and set it away from the battery.
- 2). Find the engine relay center located in front of the firewall on the driver side of the car. Release the black cover by lifting up on the clips on either side of the cover. Set the cover aside. Look for the relay labeled ABS in the middle of the row of relays closest to the firewall. On each side of the relay, there is a screw. Remove these screws using a T8 Torx screwdriver. Pull up on the relay to remove it.
- 3). Unhook the wiring harness on the bottom of the relay by pressing the buttons on the side of the harness. Gently pull down on the harness while you are pressing the buttons.
- 4). Plug the wiring harness into the bottom of the new ABS relay. Place the new ABS relay in the place from which you just removed the malfunctioning relay. Secure it by replacing the mounting fasteners. Tighten them with the screwdriver.
- 5). Replace the cover and secure it with the clips. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Tighten the nut on the clamp. Close the hood.
- 6). Start the car. Look for the ABS warning light. If it remains off, test drive your car by driving slowly and trying to stop. If it comes on, you should take your car to a mechanic to service the system.