Teaching Assistant Schools
- Teaching assistants are a vital part of the educational community. According to the US Department of Labor's Occupational Handbook 2010-2011, the demand for assistant teachers, also called paraprofessionals, is expected to grow by 10 percent through 2018. The job outlook is best for assistant teachers who have at least some post secondary work.
Penn Foster Career School
- Penn Foster Career School is an online school with a teacher's aide or teacher's assistant program. Its education program is accredited by The Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council. According to the Penn Foster website, the focus of its program's curriculum is designed to equip you to understand instructional techniques, the role of technology in the classroom, classroom communication skills and prepare you to work with students with special needs.
- Kaplan University offers a teacher's aide program through their School of Arts and Sciences. This school is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Kaplan delivers instruction in an online format through interactive seminars, discussion boards, online quizzes and Web field trips. However, they also offer one-on-one instructor feedback and dedicated advisors. Kaplan students also have access to library services through LexisNexis and the Salmon Library at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, Alabama, where they can request books that are either delivered physically through the mail or electronically.
- Ashworth College offers a teacher's assistant certificate program. Its program is comprised of 12 lessons, which cover topics such as relating to teachers and parents, infant development, and working with children with special needs. The lessons also discuss student motivation, discipline and health and safety. Ashworth College offers its students lesson books, study guides, tutorial assistance and online student support. Ashworth College is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council.
Stratford Career Institute
- The Stratford Career Institute provides a Teacher's Aide Course that consists of a four-module program offered through distance education. The Module topics are titled: Today's Teacher Aide: An Introduction to the Classroom and the Children, Cooperative Discipline, and Systematic Training for Effective Teaching Part One and Two. The program cost includes all textbooks and learning aides, online instruction and unlimited accessed to instructors through email or phone. Stratford Career Institute has been in business since 1991 and holds memberships with the United States Distance Learning Association and Better Business Bureau.
University of Phoenix
- University of Phoenix offers an Associate of Arts program with a concentration in Paraprofessional Education. The program covers child development issues and a variety of topics relevant to contemporary education, in both general as well as special-education settings. The program covers issues of classroom behavior and well as various teaching theories. The University of Phoenix has been in existence since 1976 and its programs are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).