Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold Sore or Oral Herpes
- Salt image by lefebvre_jonathan from Fotolia.com
Cold sores, also known as oral herpes, are tiny, painful blisters that may form on one’s lips, nose, or the outer regions of their mouth. They are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1 and type 2. This virus is extremely contagious and it can typically last between ten and fourteen days. If it remains present for longer than two weeks, it is advisable to see a physician for treatment. But if you notice a cold sore in its early stages, then there are several home remedies you can use to get rid of it.
- Cold sores can be treated by the use of herbs such as herbal sage, the herbal sedative violet, or tea tree oil. Another herbal treatment is sage leaf tea. For effective treatment, the tea can be made by combining two to three sage leaves with some ginger powder, or a small piece of ginger root. Steep the herbs in a cup of boiling water, and drink two to three cups per day. Using lemon balm extract can also speed up the healing and reduce the cold sore symptoms.
- Use ice to cure cold sores and ease the pain from them as well. If ice is applied early on, it can slow down the metabolism of the infected area and retard the cold sore's growth. Rub the ice on the sore for at least five to ten minutes and repeat every hour. The ice applications will help to decrease the size of the sore and will also prevent the movement of the virus.
- Household salt is another effective treatment for cold sores or oral herpes. To apply the salt, Use a moist fingertip and place a tiny amount of salt on the cold sore. Leave it in place for a minute or two. This may be a painful method, but it is one of the quickest cures for cold sores. By applying salt, the cold sore should disappear within a day or two.
- Apply a steeped tea bag to the sore for a few minutes. This application should be repeated every hour. A warm tea bag can also be applied to the blister for roughly thirty minutes. The tannic acid in the tea acts against the virus and prevents it from developing any further. The individual may notice the cold sore starting to heal after five days of applications.