Reasons Hamsters Make Good Pets
- Syrian hamsters come in many color variations and must live singularly. Russian or Chinese Dwarf hamsters are smaller, predominantly gray or white, and can live in groups.
- Hamsters have exceptional hearing and sense of smell but poor eyesight. Expandable cheek pouches are used for collecting and storing food.
- According to the Hamster Hideout, hamsters are born hairless and blind, with a total of 18 toes.
- Hamsters are very sensitive to extreme changes in temperature and should be housed away from drafts and direct sunlight.
- Hamsters love to run in stationary wheels or specially designed balls for the floor. However, they should not be allowed to run indefinitely for risk of exhaustion and/or dehydration.