How to Use a Vixen VMC95l Telescope
- 1). Mount the telescope to the tripod mount system and tighten the screws down tightly to prevent unwanted movement by the wind or accidental nudges while being used. On the tripod mount itself, locate the mounting bracket identify the three screws when looking from the top view. Two are called "dovetail screws" and the third is a safety screw. Loosen all three until the ends of the screws are even with the inside of the mount bracket (almost removed but not quite).
- 2). Pick up the telescope gently and line up the slide-in mounting bar on the tube with the tripod mounting slot and slowly slide the bar in until the screw holes are lined up with the screws of the mounting head. Tighten the screws down firmly into place.
- 3). Set the telescope up, in the area in which it will be used, about one hour before the scheduled observation, but keep the front cover and the lens covers on until actual use. This will permit the mirrors and the optics of the telescope to equalize with the outdoor temperature making a much more accurate view of the objects you will be observing.
- 4). Return to the telescope after the temperature equalization period and remove the front protective cover on the tube as well as the lens receptacle cap. Insert the open end of your telescope lens into the lens receptacle and slowly turn the focus knob clockwise (away from you if standing behind the telescope) to lower the lens.
- 5). Aim the telescope at the object to be viewed and adjust the focus knob so that the lens is halfway between fully inserted and fully extended. Look into the eyepiece and slowly move the lens up and down with the focus knob until the object is in focus and clear.