Difference Between DIN & Federal ID Number
- A Federal ID Number, sometime called the Employer Identification Number (EIN), is given to a business entity as an identifying marker for federal agencies in the United States (see Resources).
Goods and Services
- All businesses offering products and services to the public that could be taxed must have a Federal ID Number for identification purposes.
- States that tax personal services require individuals to get a Federal ID Number. Individuals who collect sales tax also need this important number.
Business in India
- The Director Identification Number (DIN) applies to anyone who directs or plans to become a director of Indian companies, whether they are citizens or not (see Resources).
- Individuals who plan to become directors can complete the application online but must submit information, such as passports and utility bills, that proves residency in the country.
- Directors of foreign companies that have branches in India do not need to obtain DIN Numbers for their business ventures.