Law & Legal & Attorney Bankruptcy & consumer credit

How to Dispute Bankruptcy

    • 1). Write a letter to the three major credit reporting agencies: Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. Explain that the bankruptcy information is inaccurate and you would like it removed. Include documents to support your claim, such as payment statements from creditors. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, credit reporting agencies have up to thirty days to investigate your dispute. If the credit bureaus agree about the the bankruptcy error, then it will be removed from your credit report.

    • 2). Draft a letter and forward it to the creditors associated with the bankruptcy entry. Provide documentation that supports your claim that the bankruptcy entry was a mistake. Send the letter to the creditor's dispute department; performing this step will keep the creditor from reporting inaccurate information to credit reporting agencies.

      This procedure also applies if you are disputing an accurate bankruptcy in hopes of having it deleted. You can dispute any item that appears on your credit report such as paid-off debts, repossessed items, recent bankruptcies and outstanding debts. Generally, recent bankruptcies or other items are the hardest to remove. Older accounts are easier to dispute and dispose of.

    • 3). Obtain new credit report copies after the thirty-day mark has passed. Review the reports to check for inaccurate information and to confirm the bankruptcy entry was removed. If the dispute was unsuccessful, start the process over again. Ask the credit bureaus to let your creditors know that the bankruptcy filing was incorrect. Most credit bureaus send notifications to each creditor when a bankruptcy is removed. Order credit reports frequently to verify their accuracy and maintain a bankruptcy free report. Sign up with a credit monitoring service to alert you of new information added to your file. Once a disputed bankruptcy is deleted, check to make sure it doesn't reappear.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply