Law & Legal & Attorney Real estate & property Law

How to Vacate a Home for Unpaid Rent in Washington, D.C.

    • 1). Go to the Landlord and Tenant Clerk's Office in Washington, D.C. Request the form needed to file a complaint for possession.

    • 2). Fill out the complaint at the clerk's office. Fill out each section to the best of your knowledge. Specify why you wish to remove the tenant. There may be a small fee to file your complaint. Once it is filed, the clerk will give you a court date.

    • 3). Obtain a process server to serve the tenant with the complaint. You must have the tenant served with the complaint at least seven days prior to your court date.

    • 4). Show up to court on the date of your hearing. Bring with you any evidence of payment or nonpayment of rent. If you are vacating the home for other reasons such as housing violations or criminal activity bring evidence and witnesses to support your accusations.

    • 5). You may be required to give your tenant notice of eviction prior to filing the complaint.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply