Law & Legal & Attorney Family Law

How to Change Your Name on a Mortgage After Divorce

    • 1). Request a certified copy of your divorce decree by contacting your city clerk's office. You will need this document as evidence of your divorce to officially change your name.

    • 2). Notify the Social Security Administration of your divorce and request a new Social Security card. Download the application from the administration's website, and mail your request along with a copy of your divorce decree.

    • 3). Update your driver's license with your new name by visiting your city's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Bring a copy of your divorce decree and new Social Security card.

    • 4). Visit your mortgage lender's office to change your name on the mortgage papers. Mention that you need to update your account with new information. Show your new Social Security card, driver's license and divorce decree to modify your name on the loan papers.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply