How to Make Your Own Cones for Jewelry
- 1). Break off a small chunk of clay and run it through your clay-dedicated pasta roller several times, gradually lowering the setting as you go. Repeat until you have enough clay to form the number of end cones you need. Knead the clay in your hands until it is soft and easy to work with.
- 2). Pinch off a small ball of clay and form it into a cone shape a bit smaller than the size you want your finished end cones. Cut out the excess clay from the inside of the cone with a craft knife and smooth any rough edges with your fingers.
- 3). Insert a stiff needle into the top of your cone to form a hole. Move the needle in a circular motion to widen the hole as necessary.
- 4). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the polymer clay cones upright on the paper. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake your clay cones according to the manufacturer's instructions, usually 15 minutes for every quarter inch of thickness.
- 5). Remove your clay from the oven and cool to room temperature. Sand your polymer clay cones under running water for a shiny finish. Start with 400 grit sandpaper and finish with 600 grit. Rub the piece to a shine with a soft piece of cloth.