Law & Legal & Attorney Family Law

Wisconsin Marriage License Information


    • Marriage certificates are issued by the county clerk of the county in which at least one of the parties has resided for at least 30 days. Non-residents of Wisconsin apply for their license in the county where the marriage will be performed.


    • Applicants must be at least 18 years old to apply without parent or guardians’ permission. Each must present a certified birth certificate and any other relevant documents such as a divorce decree.

    Other Information

    • Each party’s name, address, age and social security number as well as the wedding location and name of officiant must be on the application. All information is given under oath.

    Time Frame

    • Clerks issue licenses no earlier than five days after application. It is valid until 30 days after the license is issued. Clerks may issue licenses sooner but a waiver fee is charged for expedited documents.


    • Each county sets its clerk’s license fees. In 2010, license fees ranged from $50 to $115 and five-day waiver fees were $5 to $25. Many clerks include helpful tips about name changes and notifications with licenses. The officiant keeps the license and files it with the county within three days of the wedding.

You might also like on "Law & Legal & Attorney"

Leave a reply