How to Thaw Chicken Safely
- 1). Plug the drain in the sink and fill it with cold water. Alternatively, fill a clean dishpan or large pot with cold water.
- 2). Place the wrapped chicken into a plastic bag. Use a zip-top storage bag if the chicken fits inside one, otherwise tie a regular plastic bag closed around the chicken.
- 3). Submerge the chicken in the cold water. Use enough water to cover the chicken completely.
- 4). Replace the water in the sink with fresh cold water every 30 minutes until the chicken thaws. It takes approximately 30 minutes per pound of chicken to thaw the meat.
- 5). Cook the chicken immediately after thawing. You can refreeze the cooked meat or store it in the refrigerator for two days.