How to Simulate a Tsunami for a Science Project
- 1). Insert the 18 inch x 4 inch Plexiglass panel into the tank. You will want to insert it on the side in which the wave will be created. Glue the panel so that it sits at a 45-degree angle relative to the side of the tank. About half the panel will end up higher than the side of the Plexiglass tank.
- 2). Insert the 11 inch x 4 inch x 3 inch Plexiglass block on the other side of the tank. Glue the block so that it sits at about a 55-degree angle relevant to the side of the tank.
- 3). Fill the tank with about 2.75 inches of water. If you want to increase the authenticity of the model, you can add a few drops of blue food coloring to give the water some color.
- 4). Glue the wooden panel to the edge of the tank opposite the side where the wave will begin.
- 5). Glue your model people, trees and buildings onto the wooden ledge to represent land.
- 6). Hold the bag of aquarium gravel about a foot above the tank on the side where the wave will begin.
- 7). Dump the gravel into the tank and observe what happens. See how the waves affect the fake village you created.