Little Ways to Be Healthy
Regular Doctor Visits
- Schedule a physical at least once a year. This is a time to get an overall examination and consult with the doctor. Medical journals are constantly updated, and the physician can take this time to share current information with you. The doctor can also share tips for healthy living.
- Eat three balanced meals a day with foods from the various food groups. Consume foods low in cholesterol, sodium and fats, to lessen the chance of developing diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes. These foods also help maintain a healthy weight. The variety of foods you eat should contain leafy vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy, lean meats, poultry and fish.
- It can be difficult to get all the needed nutrients daily from foods. Vitamin supplements provide the missed nutrition. A good multivitamin provides essential vitamins and minerals the body needs. Vitamins are necessary for the body's growth and development, as they regulate bodily functions and provide energy needed to live.
- Get enough sleep to allow your body and mind to relax and recharge. Seven to eight hours per night is enough for most people to feel rested when waking. Do the majority of sleeping when the sun goes down to get better sleep quality. During the day, if you feel fatigued, take an afternoon nap to feel better and energized.
- Do some form of exercise daily. Thirty minutes of brisk exercise boosts your mood as well as improves your body physically. Choose an activity you enjoy and that fits your lifestyle. This may be biking, jogging or performing household chores like vacuuming. Consult your doctor before you begin any new exercise regimen.