How Do I Change My WordPress Blog From Free to Privately Hosted?
- 1). Log in to your free WordPress account. Click the "Export" button under the "Tools" pane. Click the "Download" button to download your blog in .WXR format. Log out of your free WordPress account.
- 2). Create an account with a Web host, preferably one with one-click WordPress installation such as BlueHost or GoDaddy. Input the URL you want to use for your blog when prompted. Although Web hosting accounts allow you to add additional URLs at a later date, setting the one you want up from the get-go is easiest.
- 3). Log into your hosting account, open the "File Manager" and install WordPress on your Web server. If WordPress is available for one-click install, the WordPress "W" logo appears within the File Manager. Click the logo and follow the instructions on the page to install WordPress on your site. The installation script will prompt you to choose a username and password.
- 4). Log in to the WordPress control panel. Unless you set it otherwise, this is located at myblogaddress.com/wp-admin. Input your user name and password and click "Login."
- 5). Scroll down to "Tools" and click "Import." Click "WordPress" and click "Choose File" to browse your computer's hard drive for your blog's WXR file. Click the name of the file, then click "Upload File and Import" to load all your existing content into your new WordPress blog.