What Is Causing My Pool Filter Gauge to Go to 35 Lbs?
- The filter’s gauge is a numerical indication of how hard your pool filter is working to clean the pool. The goal is to have the pool work as efficiently as possible with the least amount of pressure. A climbing pressure gauge means you’ve got work to do.
Check the Water Flow
- In addition to the pressure gauge rising, you’ll notice a significant drop in the return water flow. High pressure readings and low flow go hand in hand. As the filter becomes overrun with dirt and debris, it draws smaller volumes of water into the filter and sends a slower, less powerful flow of water back into the pool.
Perform a Visual Water Test
- Look at your pool water. If you see dirt floating or dirt particles submersed into the water then that means your pool filter is working hard to get rid of the particles. A large amount of floating debris over an extended period of time clogs the filtration system causing the pump to work harder.
Clean All Filter Baskets
- Make sure the filter baskets are not clogged with debris. Clean the skimmer basket and the pump basket. Clogged baskets means the pump has to work harder to draw the necessary amount of water into the filter for cleaning. Additionally, dirt and debris can affect your pool’s pH and chemical balance.
Backwash the Filter
- A high-gauge reading means it's time to clean the filter. If you have a sand filtration system, perform a backwash. If you’re using a filter with a cartridge, remove and clean the cartridge. Diatomaceous earth (DE) filtration systems may require a backwash or a full regeneration, which means cleaning the filter and replacing the old dirty DE filter with a new one.
Monitor the Gauge
- Allowing a pool filter gauge to soar to 35 lbs means the filter is working very hard. Take note of the pressure readings immediately after you have cleaned/backwashed the filter. Use the number as a baseline. When the gauge begins to rise anywhere from eight to 10 points above the baseline, it’s time to clean, backwash or regenerate the filter.