- Asbestos can cause severe health problems.Hard working construction worker at a construction scene. image by Andy Dean from Fotolia.com
Asbestos is a natural, fibrous mineral that can be woven and is resistant to heat and many chemicals. Asbestos fibers are present in manufactured goods such as roofing shingles, floor tiles and paper products. The health hazards of asbestos are severe and can cause death. For example, breathing in asbestos can cause lung cancer.
- The Model Accreditation Plan mandates the training criteria for asbestos control professionals in the United States.construction image by Horticulture from Fotolia.com
The EPA Asbestos Model Accreditation Plan includes five training disciplines required by federal law. The asbestos professional must undergo classes such as worker, contractor/supervisor, inspector, management planner and project designer. MAP guides states on requirements for asbestos-control professionals and how many training hours are required.
- Online courses are available to asbestos professionals.computer image by blaine stiger from Fotolia.com
The annual training asbestos-control professionals must undergo can be taken online, but only in states with MAP. Accredited third parties may also provide classes. The first training courses must be taken in person because the initial training courses include hands-on work. Professionals who take refresher courses online must submit the instructor's credentials to the state where they work and supply updates of any and all changes with regards to the course instructors.
Annual Training Courses
- There are specific criteria for asbestos training courses.books and apple. image by mashe from Fotolia.com
Training courses will include changes in federal, state or local regulations regarding the maintenance and removal of asbestos. There will also be discussions on new developments for removal procedures. Each course must meet the required MAP discipline and be taught as a separate and unique course, meaning the course cannot be in conjunction with another discipline.
- The asbestos professional must submit personal identification to the course instructor.passport image by yuriyklymenko from Fotolia.com
Students must provide certain identification to the training instructors prior to taking the required annual courses. The professional's Social Security number, birthdate and state asbestos license number are used to prove his identity. Each instructor must make sure that each of the professionals undergoing the annual refresher training is paying attention and understanding all lectures and exercises.