Classes of Felony Charges
Class 1 or A
- Class 1 felonies are the most serious and can be punished with life in prison or the death penalty, depending on the state. Examples of class 1 felonies include intentional homicide or first-degree murder.
Class 2 or B
- Class 2 felonies can receive a prison term ranging between 5 years and 60 years. Convicted offenders can also be sentenced to pay fines between $5,000 and $1 million. Examples of class 2 felonies include sexual assault, manslaughter and kidnapping.
Class 3 or C
- A class 3 felony can receive a prison term ranging from 2 years to 40 years, depending on the state. The courts can assess fines between $3,000 and $750,000. Examples of class 3 crimes include vehicular homicide, kidnapping and arson.
Class 4 or D
- The courts can impose a prison term of between 2 and 25 years for a class 4 felony. Fines can range between $2,000 and $500,000. Examples of Class 4 felonies include child enticement, felony drunk driving and reckless injury.
Class 5 or E
- Class 5 felonies carry a sentence of between 180 days and 15 years in prison. The courts may impose fines of between $1,000 and $100,000. Examples of class 5 offenses include burglary, battery with great bodily harm and robbery.
Class 6 or F
- A class 6 felony can receive between 1 year and 12.5 years in prison. Financial sanctions range from $1,000 to $100,000. Examples of class 6 offenses include stalking, second-degree reckless injury, burglary and possession of marijuana.
- The courts can impose a prison term of between 1 and 10 years, along with a fine of up to $25,000 for a class G felony. Examples of class G offenses include theft, negligent homicide and felon in possession of a firearm.
- Class H felonies may carry prison sentences between 1 and 6 years and fines of up to $10.000. Examples of Class H offenses include stalking, embezzlement and false imprisonment.
- Class I crimes can receive a prison sentence of between 1 and 3.5 years, along with possible fines of up to $10,000. Examples include child pornography and battery.