History of Radford University
- The school now known as Radford University was established in 1910; it became Radford State Teachers College in 1924 and Radford University in 1979.
- The first classes at Radford University were held on September 17, 1913, and areas of study included the rural arts, manual arts and household arts.
- Initially, Radford University focused mainly on teacher education, but today the school offers programs in a wide variety of subject areas, including occupational therapy, Appalachian studies and military science.
- Radford University was originally located on a 33-acre campus known as "Heth Grove"; the campus has since grown to 177 acres.
- The Grapurchat, the first student newspaper at Radford University, was established in 1921; the school's first sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma, was founded in 1929.
School Mascot and Colors
- In the 1970s, the athletic mascot was changed to The Highlander, and the name of the student newspaper to the Tartan, to celebrate Southwest Virginia's Scotch-Irish heritage.
Related Posts "Society & Culture & Entertainment"
7/11/2019 7:52:00 AM