Law & Legal & Attorney Wills & trusts

How to Change the Name on a Deed in Florida

    • 1). Get a Florida General Warranty Deed form, which is the form used to change the name on a deed from that of one individual, who has full ownership and rights to transfer the deed, to another individual, such as in the case of a property sale.

    • 2). Use a Quitclaim Deed form when changing the name on a deed to someone who the current deed-holder knows well or to remove a name from a deed in the case of a divorce. Unlike the General Warranty Deed, a Quitclaim Deed form does not guarantee free and clear rights to the property because the person to whom the deed is being transferred should already be aware of the property's standing.

    • 3). Fill out the Florida General Warranty Deed or Quitclaim Deed form according to the instructions provided in the form packet. Information on the property, the current deed-holder and the person to whom the deed is being transferred are all required fields.

    • 4). Get the deed notarized. Deeds are not valid if they have not been witnessed by a notary public.

    • 5). File the deed form with the Land Registry or County Clerk's office in the county where the property is located. Once the notarized form is filed with the county, the change in ownership is considered legal.

Leave a reply