Using Your Walking Cast
- 1). Try on the walking cast so you can determine if the molded plastic pieces fit your leg. They come in a variety of sizes, so pick one that fits comfortably.
- 2). Adjust how tight the cast is on your leg with the Velcro straps. You want the cast to be snug enough that it doesn't move while you walk, but don't cut off blood flow. Your doctor will show you how to do this and what it should feel like.
- 3). Walk normally in a heel to toe pattern. You should be able to stand normally on a walking cast as it is designed to bear weight and distribute it evenly. Your doctor will tell you how much weight-bearing you should do in the beginning based on your specific injury.
- 4). Keep the cast clean and dry at all times. Take it off when bathing or to give your leg some air.
- 5). Wear the cast at all times, except bathing, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. This will help ensure proper healing.