How to Identify a Copyright
- 1). Go to the U.S. Copyright Office's website (see the Reference section for a link).
- 2). Click "Registrations and Documents" under the heading "Search Copyright Records."
- 3). Select "Search the Catalog" in the box on the left side of the page. This is specifically for records from Jan. 1, 1978, and on.
- 4). Enter your search criteria in the "Search for" box. You can enter any piece of information you have on the copyright, such as the name of the holder or item, the general category of the copyright or even document numbers related to the copyright.
- 5). Choose from the menu in the "Search by" box the type of information that was entered in the "Search for" box. This restricts the areas of the copyright documents searched and yields better results. Click "Begin Search" when you are done.
- 6). Scroll through the listings retrieved from the search until you find the specific item you are looking for, and then click on it.
- 7). Look at the entry to find the owner of the copyright as well as dates related to the copyright, related entries and publication or release information.