- Take B vitamins, which are instrumental in brain function. You also need to eat omega-3 fatty acids, because they are vital in the formation of cells, as well as carbohydrates, which result in energy. The B vitamins--B-12 and B-6 in particular--are involved in the release of neurotransmitters, which communicate messages to the brain. If your messages are getting scrambled, you aren't going to remember things correctly.
Vitamins E, A and C, and Beta Carotene
- Vitamins A, E and C and beta carotene contain antioxidants, which protect your body and brain from pollutants (free radicals) that cause damage. These vitamins will slow the progression of memory loss.
- Eggs are full of good protein and are rife with minerals and vitamins. Choline is a nutrient found in eggs that improves the function of the memory center. Choline also increases the size of neurons, helping them work effectively.
Fat and Proteins
- Protein and fats are important for good brain function. Fats are part of the myeline sheath that surrounds the nerves as well as a component of the membranes in the brain cells. If you are lacking in fat, this can adversely affect the way your body performs, including your memory.
Nuts and Seeds
- Eat nuts because they contain protein and good fats. Eating nuts will reduce brain fog. Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds also contain beneficial fat and protein as well as antioxidants and brain boosting components. These seeds will help boost your mood because they contain tryptophan, which the brain changes into serotonin, a chemical that relieves insomnia and depression. Sunflower seeds contain thiamine, which increases cognitive function as well as improves memory.
Chocolate and Caffeine
- Chocolate and caffeine are also good memory boosters. Seniors are encouraged to drink coffee in moderation because of its benefits to the brain. Chocolate, which is full of natural stimulants, increases endorphins and improves concentration, focus and memory. Chocolate also causes dopamine to be released, which makes your mood and cognitive function better. One of the components of chocolate helps supply blood to the brain. Chocolate improves verbal and visual memory.
- Take supplements, including manganese and magnesium, because they energize the brain. Zinc helps protect your brain from the aging process and will help you avoid forgetfulness. Calcium, potassium and sodium are also important because they are needed for the transmission of messages. Iron is also critical because it carries oxygen to the brain and helps in the creation of neurotransmitters.