Can Textured Tile Flooring Be Painted?
- Dirt and grime can inhibit adhesion. Do not paint over dirty textured tile flooring, or the paint may not stick to the tile.
- Abrasion helps to enhance adhesion. Scour textured tile flooring with 120-grit sandpaper to generate a tooth for the primer and paint to latch onto.
- Textured tile flooring requires a base coat of primer to promote a long-lasting, durable finish. Apply an acrylic latex primer to the tiles, using a roller affixed to an extension pole.
- A two-part epoxy paint is appropriate for coating primed textured tile flooring. Many companies also manufacture acrylic paints specifically formulated for floors.
- Do not paint over bare textured tile flooring, or the finish will ultimately peel. Ordinary acrylic latex paints are not appropriate for tiles floors and will eventually fail.