How to Take Care of Fancy Hamsters
- 1). House your fancy hamster in a cage that is made for rodents or in a fish aquarium with a tight-fitting lid. Use shredded paper or wood shavings as litter in the cage. The bedding will need to be at least two inches deep.
- 2). Use a water bottle that attaches to the side of the cage instead of a water bowl. A hamster will fill a bowl with litter or food and you will find yourself changing the water multiple times a day. Provide fresh, clean water at all times.
- 3). Feed the hamster daily with a high-quality small animal pellet mix. Supplement the pellets with small amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as sugarless cereals, whole wheat pasta and sunflower seeds. Any fresh foods that are not eaten within a few hours will need to be removed to prevent contamination.
- 4). Change the litter in your hamster's cage at least once a week to prevent the buildup of bacteria. Remove all old litter and hoarded food and replace with fresh litter.
- 5). Handle your fancy hamster often to get him used to human interaction. Check him on a regular basis for signs of illness such as hair loss and dampness around the rear end. This may be a sign of wet tail, which is an often fatal disease.