How to Cook Night-Blooming Cereus
- 1). Wash the plant thoroughly to get rid of any bugs and dirt. If you purchased dried cereus from a specialty supermarket, allow the cereus to soak in water for at least an hour. Make sure to rinse the cereus several times during this hour.
- 2). Cut the plants into bite sized pieces--petals, stems and all.
- 3). Prepare a broth and pour in a cooking pot. You can also choose to use a store brought broth or plain water.
- 4). Set the heat to high and wait for broth to start boiling.
- 5). Add the night cereus, as well as any other ingredient you choose to use, when the water is boiling. Some ingredients you may want to add are beef, pork, thinly sliced bamboo shoots, dried figs, honey dates or apricot kernels.
- 6). Boil ingredients for 30 minutes on high heat.
- 7). Reduce heat to low and allow the cereus soup to simmer for three hours.
- 8). Serve hot.