How to Change a Water Pump on a Nissan Outboard
- 1). Unfasten the nuts that hold the gear case to the upper engine housing, with a socket wrench, and slide the gear case away from the housing. Place the gear case in a vise, so you can work on the water pump from a comfortable position.
- 2). Loosen the bolts on top of the water pump housing with a socket wrench, and slide the housing off the top of the gear case. Lift the metal gasket plate off the gear case and scrape any remaining debris from the top of the gear case with a putty knife.
- 3). Clean any debris and excess oil from the top of the gear case and the motor shaft with a clean cloth. Place a thin layer of marine grease along the top of the gear case where the water pump housing sits, as well as along the base of the motor shaft.
- 4). Apply a thin layer of marine grease to the inside edge of the new water pump housing from the pump rebuild kit, and place the new impeller inside the pump housing upside down. Place the metal gasket plate on the top of the gear case over the motor shaft, and attach the rubber O-ring to the inside lip of the water pump housing.
- 5). Slide the new water pump housing assembly over the motor shaft, and attach the assembly to the top of the gear case with bolts. Remove the Nissan outboard motor gear case from the vise, and fasten the case to the upper engine housing with nuts.