How to Make a Toy Clarinet for Art
- 1). Locate an appropriate piece of cardboard for the project. Cardboard from a cereal or pizza box is lightweight, or for a heavier cardboard use a packing box.
- 2). Cut out an image of a clarinet from an old magazine or a coloring book.
- 3). Place the clarinet image on the cardboard and trace around the edges using a pencil.
- 4). Put the cardboard on top of a cutting mat and cut out the traced clarinet using a craft knife. If the cardboard is thick, cut through about half way and then go back over a second time to cut completely.
- 5). Apply a primer such as gesso to both sides of the cardboard with a paintbrush. Let dry. Apply a second coat if needed, until the cardboard no longer shows through the gesso.
- 6). Paint the clarinet a traditional black with silver keys or as desired with other colors using a paintbrush. Let the paint dry. A second coat is not necessary when using a primer, but consider adding abstract designs such as circles, stars or lines for decoration.