* More than 370,000 men and over 1 million women are stalked each year in the US. That means 1 in 12 women and 1 in 45 men will be stalked at some point in their life.
* In the last year, 9.3 million Americans were victims of identity theft. One and a half million of those ID theft cases also reported harassment and domestic abuse from their exes.
* According to national figures, college women aged 18-29 are the most popular targets for cyberstalking, but men get in on the action too. A survey among 700+ students at Rutgers University and the University of Pennsylvania found that 56% of stalkers were male, while 45% were female. On a national level though, males are the majority leaders on creeping at 87%.
* The Working to Halt Online Abuse (WHOA) organization broke down the numbers by website and found that:
- 34% of stalkers started their game via email. 13% started through instant messaging and message boards.
- Stalking is on the rise in the social network - 5.5% through Facebook and MySpace, with another 8% searching the internet through blogs, Twitter, and dating sites.
So what's my point with all these statistics? At least one dating website, Vali-date, is too aware that there are quite a few people are more or less what they appear to be. Generally speaking, when it comes to a dating site, the extent that a lot of people will go to lie about themselves is saying they went to real college instead of clown college, or that they have a house in the Hamptons when they're still stuck paying their parents to rent out the basement.
However, as these numbers show, sometimes people go above and beyond simply lying about their belt size. Cyberstalking is an incredibly easy way for abusers to locate and keep tabs on their victims, even if they try and move or hide away. It also makes identity theft an easy enough task to accomplish, so that if they can't inflict physical harm, they can at least leave your life and credit in tatters through other means, leaving you to pick up the pieces and try credit repair on your own.
With that in mind, make sure that if you decide to use a dating site [http://www.vali-date.net], it not only matches people based on compatibility, but checks them out to make sure they're not into any extra-curricular activities that wouldn't fly with you. You have a choice in online dating; just want to help you to make the right one.