How to Prime a Diesel Injector Pump
- 1). Loosen the nuts connecting the injectors to the motor head. This will allow any air between the injection pump and injectors to exit the system during priming.
- 2). Insert the key into the ignition. Turn the key to the "on" position and turn it slightly toward the "start" position to bump the starter. Release the key after approximately one to two seconds so that it returns to the "on" position.
- 3). Listen for the vehicle's electric lift pump to begin transferring diesel from the fuel tank to the fuel filter housing and, in turn, the injector pump. The lift pump will sound like a buzzing coming from the fuel tank. If you do not hear the lift pump working, bump the engine a second time.
- 4). Work with a partner to watch for fuel coming from the injector lines where you previously loosened the connection nuts. Re-tighten the nuts when fuel begins to flow out of the injector lines. At this time, your injector pump is primed with fuel.
- 5). With the injector lines re-connected to the head, crank the vehicle and allow it to begin running.