Travel & Places Passport Requirements

Documents Required for U.S. to Canada Travel

    Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

    • As of June 1st, 2009, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, has required that all U.S. citizens traveling to Canada from the United States by air, land or sea must present a WHTI-compliant document to border services. Acceptable documents include valid passport, passport card, valid trusted traveler program card, such as NEXUS or FAST, as well as the enhanced driver's license. No longer can standard driver's licenses, social security cards or birth certificates serve on their own as sufficient documentation.

    Special Citizenship Requirements

    • All naturalized citizens must present their certificate of naturalization if they do not have a U.S. passport. Permanent residents must present their Alien Registration Card, or green card. Dual citizens of the United States and Canada must present only their Canadian documentation.

    Child Requirements

    • The border police are instructed to follow certain guidelines for children in order to avoid extreme circumstances such as abduction. The following guidelines are only recommendations in order to avoid delays at the port of entry; their respective documentation is not required for entry.

      If a child under the age of 18 is traveling with a person other than a parent or legal guardian, that person should present a letter of custody or written travel authorization from the parent or legal guardian. If a child is traveling with only one parent, that parent should carry written authorization from the other parent. If a child is traveling without a guardian older than age 18, he should present a letter of travel authorization from a parent or legal guardian.

You might also like on "Travel & Places"

Leave a reply