How to Tie the Bug Eye Bunny Fly
- 1). Clamp the hook in the vise; wrap the thread at the hook eye. Wrap the thread forward to create a small gap between the thread and hook eye.
- 2). Position a set of dumbbell bug-eyes on the hook's shank. Adjust the eyes to a level position. Secure the eyes with 20 figure-eight wraps. Wrap the thread in front of the eyes; this creates a small gap between the thread and eyes.
- 3). Cut a rabbit strip twice the length of the hook's shank. Position the strip in front of the eyes, with the tip passing the hook's bend as a tail. Make 10 thread-wraps to secure the strip on the hook.
- 4). Lift the base of the rabbit strip. Wrap the thread behind the strip until you reach the eyes. Make one full wrap around the shank with the base of the rabbit strip. Make 10 thread-wraps to secure the rabbit at the eyes. Remove the excess rabbit strip.
- 5). Wrap the thread in front of the eyes until a thick, red layer of thread is visible; the thread must cover any excess rabbit strip. Place your forefinger and middle finger against the thread. Twist your fingers to create a triangle with the thread. Wrap the triangle around the hook, and pull it tight. Repeat the process five times, and cut the thread off the hook.
- 6). Apply a thin layer of clear nail-polish to the top of the thread and center of the eyes. Leave the fly in the vise until the nail polish is dry.