How to Change Disc Brakes on Saturn Car
Accessing the brakes
- 1). Park the car on a level, hard surface.
- 2). Loose the lug nuts on both tires on the end of the vehicle where you are going to change the brakes using the tire iron.
- 3). Place the floor jack under the end of the vehicle where you are going to change the brakes. Lift that end of the car off the ground by the frame.
- 4). Slide a jack stand under frame on each side of the car and lower the car onto the stands.
- 5). Remove the loosened lug nuts and remove the tires.
Changing the brakes
- 1). Use the wrench and socket set to remove the bolts holding the disc brakes in place.
- 2). Pull the brake assembly up and off the brake rotor.
- 3). Push out the brake pads using your thumb or the end of the wrench.
- 4). Place the new brake pads in the pad tracks where the old pads had been located.
- 5). Place the brake assembly back over the rotor and insert the bolts to hold it in place. Use the wrench and socket set to tight the bolts in place.
Finishing the job
- 1). Repeat the changing procedure for the other side of the car. Both sides must be changed at the same time to prevent braking problems.
- 2). Place the tires over the wheel hubs and evenly screw on the lug nuts.
- 3). Use the floor jack to lift the end of the car off the jack stands.
- 4). Remove the jack stands.
- 5). Lower the car to the ground.
- 6). Tighten all of the lug nuts using the tire iron.