How to Thicken a Soup Chowder
Using Instant Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1). Add your prepared chowder to a large stock pot. Bring soup to a slow simmer. You should only see a slight amount of bubbles coming to the surface. Do not boil your soup at this point.
- 2). Measure a 1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes. Stir the flakes in slowly and allow the mixture to simmer and the flakes dissolve entirely.
- 3). Measure out an additional 1/4 cup of potato flakes. Add flakes to the soup until you have reached the desired consistency, but never boil the mixture.
Using Raw Potatoes
- 1). Place prepared chowder in a stock pot and bring to a simmer. Grate potato and measure out 3 tbsp.
- 2). Add grated potato to soup. Stir completely and then allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3). If soup does not thicken, add more grated potato.
Using Dry Bread
- 1). Remove the crust from a dry Italian or French bread loaf.
- 2). Dice up bread in small batches or use a food processor to create breadcrumbs. Add breadcrumbs in small batches to your soup. Allow to simmer in between additions to reach desired consistency.
- 3). Allow to simmer in between additions to reach desired consistency.