The best temperatures for sleep seem to be between 60 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
I personally have turned my heat off or down to 50 during the night hours.
The house would still remain at least at 60 degrees and the utility bills would be lower.
Now I find out that also contributed to a better night's sleep.
The researchers found that some people who cannot seem to get to sleep have warmer core body temperatures than normal.
Their bodies tried to reset their internal thermostats to a more normal temperature.
The cooler room helps in decreasing the core body temperature and induces sleepiness.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, other things that have an effect on how to go to sleep fast are caffeinated beverages, obesity, naps.
Caffeinated beverages should be restricted especially late in the day for anyone having difficulty falling asleep.
Obesity often contributes to "sleep apnea," which is a condition in which air becomes restricted and a person is awakened to gasp for air.
More than one short nap a day will also make it very difficult for people to go to sleep fast.
Napping can become a viscous cycle.
When a person naps frequently because they are tired they can't get to sleep at night which causes sleepiness during the day causing them to take naps which in turn causes difficulty again in getting to sleep and on and on.
Over the counter drugs are a temptation for those who have trouble sleeping but things such as antihistamines can leave you drowsy the next day as well as cause many other side effects.
There are more natural means of dealing with insomnia.
- Taking a warm bath 30 minutes or so before bed can relieve body tension and soothe the nerves promoting sound sleep.
- Drinking warm milk seems to be a debate by different researchers but I have tried it and it worked for me.
- Listening to soft and relaxing music can aid going to sleep more quickly.
- Breathing exercises and meditation are other methods of relaxation that will help to promote sleep.
- It is best to stop watching stimulating TV programs or engaging in any other mind stimulating activities at least an hour before going to bed as they can make it difficult to quiet the mind and get to sleep.
- Keep the bedroom dark and quiet and use the bedroom only for sleeping.
- Writing all your thoughts down on paper call allow you to quiet your mind before you retire.
Some call this a brain dump so that those busy thoughts don't keep you awake.
There are many more tips and techniques you can try to help you to go to sleep fast and get a good night's rest allowing you to wake refreshed in the morning.
Try some of these suggestions and see if you can get a better night's sleep and wake refreshed and energetic.