How to Clean Shingle Roof Fungus
- 1). Cover shrubbery, plants and other landscaping with plastic sheeting to protect them during the cleaning process.
- 2). Gather the supplies, and place the ladder on even ground. Carry squeegee, bucket, oxygen bleach, a gallon jug of warm water and a push broom to the roof.
- 3). Inspect the roof and locate areas where the fungus is thick. Squeegee the areas where there is a buildup of fungus by placing the squeegee on the shingles and pushing it in the direction that the shingles are laid. Continue scraping fungus until all that remains on the roof are the stains.
- 4). Mix equal parts of the oxygen bleach and warm water in the bucket. Splash the portions of the roof where the fungus is located with the solution. Wait five minutes.
- 5). Scrub the roof with the push broom, starting at the top of the roof and working your way down. Always move the broom in the direction of the shingles, not against the shingles, as this may cause the shingles to lift.
- 6). Remove the supplies from the roof, and return with a garden hose. Rinse the roof thoroughly, using a sweeping motion. Remove and discard the plastic sheeting.