What Good Is Thymus Extract?
- The thymus is involved in the production of T-lymphocytes, or T-cells, which identify and destroy cancer cells, viruses, bacteria and fungi. T-cells also activate B cells for the production of antibodies.
- Poor immune function can cause fatigue, listlessness, repeated infections, inflammation, allergic reactions, slow wound healing, chronic diarrhea and frequent colds.
- According to James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, authors of "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," two of the most common immune suppressors include stress and poor diet, especially a diet high in fat and refined processed foods. Other possible factors include lack of sleep, mercury amalgams and underactive thyroid.
- Prescribed in Europe for years, thymus extract is used to treat immune deficiency, bone marrow failure, autoimmune disorders, chronic skin diseases, viral and bacterial infections, hepatitis, allergies and cancer.
- Thymus extract may interact with some supplements or medications and should only be used with guidance of a licensed health practitioner.