How to Ease Bronchitis Symptoms With Alternative Remedies
- 1). Eat lots of garlic and onions when you come down with a case of bronchitis. Garlic has natural antibiotic properties and both garlic and onions have quercetin, an antioxidant that aids in reducing inflammation in your lungs. Use caution when consuming large amounts of garlic if you are on blood thinners, protease inhibitors, diabetes drugs or anti-platelet medications.
- 2). Break up congestion in your lungs with cayenne pepper. Cayenne comes from a plant grown in South America and is popular for both culinary and medicinal use. You can get it in capsule or extract form and take as directed by the manufacturer. Consult your doctor before taking cayenne if you take blood thinners or are on ACE inhibitors. You should avoid cayenne if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or on theophylline, an asthma drug.
- 3). Ask a homeopathic practitioner which remedies can help ease your bronchitis symptoms. Several homeopathic remedies are available, including Pulsatilla, Dulcamara, Byonia, Silica, Calcarea calbonica, Antimonium tartaricum, Sulphur, Hepar sulphuris calcareum and Causticum. A practitioner can determine the best remedy for you as an individual. Homeopathic remedies are safe to use.
- 4). Suck on slippery elm bark lozenges to bring relief to your respiratory tract and stop coughing in its tracks. Slippery elm contains a soluble fiber called mucilage, that helps to ease your discomfort during an attack of bronchitis. This is a safe herb to take, even if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. You should take it apart from any prescription medications you already take to avoid the risk of any interactions.
- 5). Take fenugreek to help reduce the buildup of mucus. Fenugreek comes from the seeds of a plant that originally grew in Asia and Europe. You can find it in capsule or tea form and should take the dosage suggested by the individual product. You should avoid this herb if you are pregnant or on prescription drugs, such as Heparin, Warfarin, Glipizide or Ticlopidine. If you are unsure about whether fenugreek is safe to take, talk to your doctor.
- 6). Blow up some balloons several times each day for a period of two months. Doing so can actually help to improve your lung function and help you to breathe better. This is especially helpful if you have chronic bronchitis.