How to Remove the Car Stereo on a 2003 Ford Mustang
- 1). Wrap the blade end of a flat-head screwdriver with a layer of duct tape. This prevents damage to the trim from prying with the screwdriver. Reapply tape, as needed, throughout the radio replacement process.
- 2). Turn the ignition to the "Run" position and place the automatic gear shifter in the "1" position. Turn the ignition to the "Off" position. If fitted with a manual transmission, unscrew the knob from the gear shifter.
- 3). Pry upward on the gear shifter bezel -- the trim surrounding the gear shifter -- with a flat-head screwdriver, to disengage its retaining clips. Pull the panel upward so you can reach the power outlet or cigarette lighter plug wiring harness. Guide the shifter boot off the gear shifter as you remove the bezel, if equipped with a manual transmission. Pull the wiring harness from the power outlet or cigarette lighter plug. Remove the bezel and set it aside.
- 4). Insert the blade of the flat-head screwdriver between the radio bezel -- the trim around the radio and heater controls -- and pry around the perimeter of the bezel to release it. Pull the bezel from the dashboard and set it out of your way.
- 5). Remove the two screws below the radio's faceplate with a ratchet and 9/32-inch socket. Slide the radio out of the dash just enough to reach the wires on the rear.
- 6). Press and hold the locking button on each of the three wiring harnesses and pull each harness from the rear of the radio. Pull the antenna cable from the rear of the radio. Remove the radio from the Mustang.
- 7). Plug the three wiring harnesses into their respective receptacles on the rear of the new radio -- each harness is a different size, so they can each only plug into one receptacle. Press the antenna wire's plug into the antenna receptacle on the radio.
- 8). Slide the radio into its chassis within the dashboard and tighten its two retaining screws with a ratchet and 9/32-inch socket.
- 9). Set the radio bezel around the radio, so its retaining clips line up with the slots on the dashboard. Press the radio bezel toward the dashboard until it snaps into place.
Plug the wiring harness back into the power outlet or cigarette lighter in the gear shifter bezel. If fitted with a manual transmission, slip the gear shifter boot onto the gear shifter. Line up the retaining clips on the gear shifter bezel with the slots on the center console and press the bezel downward until it snaps into place.
Shift the gear shifter back into "Park," if fitted with an automatic transmission. If equipped with a manual transmission, tighten the gear shifter knob back onto the gear shifter stalk.