In order to help you out, here are some ideas that you can try in case you become involved in an accident:
1. Regardless whether you were the one who caused it or not, the most important thing is for you to stay calm and keep your head. It is very easy to panic in such a situation, but you should fight the feeling, because it won't help you out at all.
2. Check if you suffered any injuries, or if anyone from your vehicle was hurt. If everyone is okay then check the occupants of the other vehicle. Make sure that everyone is safe and unhurt.
3. In case someone was hurt, then your priority should be to give them immediate medical attention. Call an emergency number, tell them of the situation in the most accurate way that you can manage. If the is no danger of fire or explosion then do not attempt to move the hurt person.
4. If no one was hurt but there is some damage to the vehicles involved, then you should write down the number of the other vehicle involved and the name of the other party. You might provide them with additional information such as your insurance provider and other things like that.
5. Never go into an argument with the other driver. That will lead to nowhere and it might just aggravate the situation. Regardless whether you were the one who caused it or not. Just wait for a police officer or any other person of authority to clear things up.
6. Never admit your guilt even when talking casually with the other driver. Again it is best to wait for the authority to get things cleared up. Just tell your side of the story as clearly as you can.
7. Never try to escape from the scene of an accident especially if someone was hurt. That might aggravate things for you. Just wait there and if you know how to handle the situation then you should be okay.
8. You should try not to move the vehicle from their original position during the accident. That would be needed to establish how guilty the other party is.
9. Take pictures of the scene of the accident and make sure that you take in all the angles of the vehicles.
10. Never argue with the police officer or the person of authority who will be handling the accident.
11. Just so you can be sure that your rights will not be violated, you should just go ahead and hire a lawyer. They would know how to handle the situation for you, so you need not worry about anything.