What is light therapy?
Light therapy is a beam of light that is reflected and is delivered effectively through hand held probes. These wavelengths of light stimulate healing cells in the body enabling it to heal itself. In the same way that plants respond to the sun light through photosynthesis our body responds to the healing effects of light therapy. Low Level Lasers must not be confused with a thermal laser as it does not burn or harm the skin.
How does Low Level Laser work?
A gentle powerful reflective beam of light is delivered through hand help probes in particular wave lengths which stimulate the healing cells in the body, enabling the body to heal itself. The bodies pain mechanisms can be stimulated with light therapy, encouraging the bodies natural morphine, endorphins to have a significant effect in controlling pain. The effects of photosynthesis such as helping plants to grow have been well known for many thousands of years, dating back to the Egyptian times. Class 3 B lasers have been adapted to wonderful effect and are used by Podiatrists, physiotherapists in their clinics. It is the modern way of encouraging a very powerful light to heal the body.
Advantages of Low Level Laser
- Treatment Very short treatment times.
- Very safe, with just few a cautions for usage. Painless, gentle therapeutic therapy.
- Reduction in dressings, drug costs and a reduced scarring in post surgery.
- Can be used in the treatment of chronic wounds, pain management, musculoskeletal medicine and non needle acupuncture.
- Non invasive form of treatment.
- Evidenced based therapy with much research to back up its use. Speeds up healing to enable the body to heal itself.
- Effects noticed after only 1-2 treatments.
Copyright Gary Webb MChs 2009