How to Change a Beneficiary's Last Name
- 1). Contact your lawyer and set up a meeting to have your will amended.
- 2). Attend the meeting with a list of changes you want to make.
- 3). Explain the changes to your lawyer, who will amend the will in front of you. An amendment to a will is called a codicil.
- 4). Be sure that the codicil is dated. It won't be considered legal if the date that the changes took place isn't noted.
- 5). Sign the will, have your lawyer sign the will, and have a witness sign the will.
- 6). Deliver copies of the amended will to each place you store your will. Your will should be left in several places: with a lawyer, at your home and with someone you trust to carry out your wishes.