How to Make Your Pants Length Shorter
- 1). Remove the original hem from your pair of pants. This can be done with one edge of a pair of scissors or a stich remover.
- 2). Put on the pants. Place a pin in each leg where you would like the new hem to fall. Take the pants off and turn them inside out. Be careful not to lose the pin or poke yourself.
- 3). Use a pen to mark the pin position inside each of the legs. With a tape measure, measure the distance from the pin to the bottom of the unhemmed legs. Use the pen to place marks all across the legs at this position. Connect these marks with a ruler. These will be your fold lines.
- 4). Draw another line across the pant legs 1 ½ inches below the fold line. Cut the material at this line and fold it up at the fold line to make a small cuff inside each leg.
- 5). Cut four strips of hem tape the width of the pant legs and place them underneath the cuff of the new hem on both sides of each leg.
- 6). Place a heated iron on top of the cuff to secure the new hems in place. Repeat this step for the both sides of each pant leg. Turn the pants right side out and hold the iron on top of each cuff again.