How to Make Your Own Custom Hats
How to make a sailor or pirate hat out of newspaper
- 1). Pull one page out of a newspaper and place it with one of the shorter edges closest to you. Fold the bottom edge up to meet the top edge and crease, if there is not already a crease there. Keep the paper folded and make a second crease by folding the right edge to meet the left one. Unfold this second fold.
- 2). Fold the top left corner down to meet this new crease line. Do the same with the top right corner. You will have a triangle with a rectangle below it.
- 3). Note that the rectangle is two-ply. Take the front sheet of it and fold it up at the crease line you used in Step 2. Then turn your hat over and do the same thing on the back.
- 4). Keep this large hat as is, or fold it in half widthwise at the midpoint of the triangle. This will make a smaller and more durable hat that should still fit on the average head. Add staples or tape where needed so that your hat stays together. Most likely you will need to staple the rectangle rims to the triangular portions.
- 5). Customize your hat by decorating it with any embellishments you want. Wear it with the corners in front and back as a sailor hat or on the sides as a pirate hat.
Make a birthday or New Year's hat
- 1). Take a paper plate at least 10 inches in diameter without any ridges or bumps on it and draw a 7-inch circle in the center with your compass. Cut out the circle with your scissors and fold it in half.
- 2). Cut the circle along the fold line so you end up with two separate half-circles. Now you have the materials to make two hats.
- 3). Put one half-circle in front of you with the curved side furthest away from you. Starting at one side (right or left), roll the paper toward the other side. You'll notice that it automatically forms a cone. Tape or staple it so it doesn't unravel.
- 4). Punch a hole in the left side and one in the right side about a half-inch from the bottom of the hat. Tie one end of an 8-inch piece of ribbon to each hole. Put the hat on your head and tie it under your chin. Glue a pom-pom to the tip of your hat with school glue. Decorate as you like.
Make a princess crown
- 1). Take a paper plate and put it on the table upside down. Fold the plate exactly in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Crease it tightly and unfold.
- 2). Your plate will now look like a pie with four slices. Draw a straight diagonal line from the top left to the bottom right running through the center. Do the same thing from the top right to the bottom left. Now your pie will have eight fairly even slices.
- 3). Put the metal tip of your compass directly in the center of the plate. Measure it out 8 inches and draw a circle. Now cut your slices, beginning in the middle of the plate and ending when you reach the circle you just drew. The slices are now the points of your crown.
- 4). Use another plate or construction paper to cut out hearts, circles or stars and glue those to the crown points. Add more embellishments if you like. Put the crown on your head by pushing your head through the hole in the center of your hat.