A used car can be a valuable asset if you know how to look after it. After all, not having to worry about an expensive car payment every month is nice! But, just because you own a used car doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a luxurious interior, or sparkling exterior. If you've decided to keep your used car around for awhile, take advantage of the following 5 tips. They will help your car look younger!
- Wax your car twice a year. Have you ever seen a car with dull spots, rust, and faded paint? It makes the car look like an old clunker, even if it really isn't that old! Regular waxing protects your car's paint from the elements. Sun, snow, dust, and humidity can all do a number on your car. If you want to hang onto that new-car shine, invest in a good waxing every six months. And, if you really want to get fancy, you can have a body shop professionally remove all of the dents, dings, and scratches that are putting a damper on your car's appearance.
- Replace old, worn tires. Aside from being a safety hazard, worn tires make the rest of your car look old. It's like wearing a designer outfit with ratty old sneakers. Shiny new tires with fresh tread make for safer driving and a newer-looking car.
- Keep an eye on the little things. It is easy for cars to fall victim to damaged or missing trim, old junky windshield wipers, or chipped mirrors as they get older. But, a few minor upgrades can make your car look years younger - without breaking your budget.
- Make minor repairs. This is something that can really help secondhand cars - especially if you don't know how the previous owner treated the car. Squeaky brakes, a thundering muffler, or flapping belts can make your car seem (and sound!) much older than it really is. As an added benefit, making some small repairs now can help prevent major expensive breakdowns later.
- Keep the inside as clean as the outside. For some reason, people are much more tolerant of a mess in their cars than a mess in their homes. Even the most organized people can wind up driving around in a car that's full of dirt and junk. Things that you never think about - like dirty floor mats, stains on your upholstery, and the kids' toys rattling around - can make your car seem like an old trash heap. You don't need to buy a new car to feel luxurious driving around; you might just need some stain remover or some new floor mats. Either way, keeping the interior of your used car clean can make a world of difference!