How Do I Convert Mobile Home Axle Hubs?
Remove the wheel.socket set wrench image by Christopher Dodge from Fotolia.com
Raise the mobile home with a heavy-duty jack so that one wheel can be removed. To remove the wheel, take off the hubcap if so equipped. Remove the dust cap and pull out the cotter pin. Use a socket wrench to loosen and remove the lug nuts. Slide off the wheel and tire.
- 2). Take the lugs and the wheel to a trailer or motor home supply store and ask them which type of conversion they recommend for your particular use. They can point out areas of wear and make suggestions for items to be repaired.
- 3). Slide the new hub onto the axle. Put the bearing in, then replace the washer and the spindle nut. Use the old washer and nut unless the mobile home supply personnel told you not to.
- 4). Apply bearing grease and tighten the nut, then insert the cotter pin. Bend the pin to fit. Replace the dust cover, tapping it with a hammer or mallet to set it in place.
- 5). Install lug nuts on every other spoke and tighten them lightly. Once these are secure, add the other nuts and tighten them all down.
- 6). Remount the wheels and tires. Inflate them to the proper pressure.