What Are the Stages of a Common Cold?
Basic Common Cold
- The cold is a virus and can last about one to two weeks. About 1 billion people in the United States suffer from colds yearly. Colds cause children and adults to miss more school and workdays than any other illness.
Causes of A Common Cold
- Cold Season StartsImage by Flickr.com, courtesy of Dee Q8
A person catches a cold when someone with a cold sneezes or coughs, because the virus is airborne. There are hundreds of viruses that can cause a cold, but the most common one and the one that is likely to make you sickest is the rhinovirus.
- Symptoms of a cold include runny or stuffy nose, nasal discharge, swelling of sinuses, sneezing, sore throat, coughing and headache.
- There is no real cure for a cold, but you can rest in bed, drink lots of fluids, gargle with warm salty water, and take aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen for headache or fever.
- Wash your hands often! It is the most common effective method to keep from getting a cold,