However, most people don't consider all aspects when adopting a domestic dog from the shelter.
The main questions to ask are do you have any idea about the background, where he came from, how he reacts and how to understand him.
Here are some typical questions which will help you in adoption of a dog:
- First find the information about the dog that whether he is a stray dog or a shelter dog.
This will help you in understanding his background.
- Puppy is the better choice.
But if you are going for a rescue dog then the age should be between 8 weeks -15 years.
- Check the medical and behavioral problems of a dog before adopting it.
- If you want to buy a trained dog then go for the foster dogs.
- You also have to be thoughtful about the dog problems like dog aggression, house training.
- The main and important thing when you are adopting a dog, your life style and activity should be matched with your dog.
If you are an outgoing person, athletic, quiet whatever your personality you need to consider at that time.
- Your eating style should also match with your dog.
If you are a vegetarian then adopt dog according to that and if non-vegetarian then adopt accordingly.
- See also the behavior of dog if he is of aggressive nature then he might need to be trained.
- At the time of adopting a dog consider other if you have any other pets in your house.
- Read the policies when you are adopting a dog.
- Only few kennels in India provide the facility of Spaying, Neutering, Shots, and Deworming.
So check all these things.
- Some dogs will show a preference for certain types of people-more towards women, men, children or the elderly.
Dogs are adaptable in most cases.
Again, always choose a dog according to your lifestyle.
It's good if you get a friendly dog and if you have children then it will be the best thing to happen.
You will be lucky if you find an ideal dog that is friendly with your family in minimum time.
As the wise say a dog is a the best pet that a man can have!